21 September 2009

Rational and Preliminary Research

What are the differences between a Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox mass ceremony?

Roman Catholicism and Greek Orthodoxy are very similar because they originated from the same original belief system and history, splitting in 1054 AD. What I wish to discover is how they are different. The only difference I know of are their names and where they had originated, Roman Catholicism being western and Greek Orthodoxy (aka Eastern Orthodoxy) was located more to the east. I am interested to discover what some of the differences between the two are. More specifically in the celebration of mass, since it can be considered the most essential ceremony in Roman Catholicism, it would show the differences and subtleties between the two religions well.

In order to determine the differences I will research basic information using the official web pages of the two religions so that I have a basic understanding of the differences. I will also attend a Roman Catholic mass and a Greek Orthodox mass and draw conclusions on the differences from my own personal observations. I will also research farther others opinions online of the differences between each mass ceremony.

(I think I'm missing something, so if you could inform me on what I might be missing that would be great.)

0 Comments: